Join our growing team!
Foster America Intern, Fall 2018
Foster America has established internship opportunities that will further students’ learning and contribute to our mission of bringing leadership, innovation, and systemic change to the systems that support vulnerable children. This program provides opportunities for students to gain robust hands-on experience with what it takes to build and improve an innovative social enterprise. The position is also an opportunity to develop knowledge of the public sector, nonprofit management, and the US child welfare system.
Student interns will ideally be based in San Francisco, Boston, or Chicago or may work virtually with regular phone check-ins. The length and content of service may vary based on the needs, skills, and availability of the applicant. Each student learner will work closely with and report to a member of Foster America’s Leadership Team, who will serve as a mentor and resource to the intern. Ideal candidates will have excellent communication skills and an ability to work with diverse stakeholders. We are looking for bright and creative students or recent graduates with a passion for shaking up systems and serving disadvantaged children to join our team.
Interns are asked to commit to 10-15 hours of work per week during the school year, or up to 40 hours per week in the summer.
Duties and Responsibilities
Student learners will substantially aid in building the systems, processes, programs, and materials that will catapult Foster America through our next stage of growth. In addition to their day-to-day contributions to the team, student learners may focus on a longer project in one of three areas, including Development, Program Support, and Communications. Depending on their skills, experience, and other demands, student learners may blend various components of these projects.
Potential tasks that student learners may work on include, but are not limited to:
● Aid with the screening and tracking of fellowship applicants
● Manage special events, including training opportunities for fellows, fellowship interview days, and fundraising events for donors
● Translate concepts and develop content for print, video, web, social media, and other collateral material
● Create marketing materials for potential fellowship candidates and funders
● Work closely with senior leadership to research, design, implement and manage the systems and software (e.g. Salesforce) necessary to manage a rapidly expanding base of supporters, advocates, contacts, tasks, etc.
● Aid with drafting grant proposals
● Conduct research
● Prepare reports and presentations for internal and external use
● Assist with special projects as needed
● Contribute creative ideas to help shape our program as we expand our size, scope and impact this year
There is no compensation for the undergraduate student intern position; potential stipends may be available based on available funding and this possibility will be discussed and agreed upon with the intern prior to engagement. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Interns may work virtually from a location of their choosing or, when possible, in person at Foster America’s working spaces in San Francisco, CA or Boston, MA.
Foster America, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or
ordinance. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants with disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Please send a cover letter and resume with your full name and position title in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.